The Lutheran Campus Center
One of the most significant steps forward in Lutheran campus work in Bemidji was the purchase in 1958 of the present center at 1221 Birchmont Drive NE from the Kenfield family. The Center was purchased by a group of men, drawn together by Pastor Ray Williams and Professor Carl Thompson, who incorporated the title of the Bemidji Lutheran Student House Corporation. The down payment was made possible by Dr. David Berge of Roseau, and future payments by contributions from area individuals and congregations. In 1972, the remaining amount (almost $17,000) was paid off by capital funds from the National Lutheran Campus Ministry, the operating agency until 1987, when the ELCA was formed.